Tuesday, August 28, 2007

AAMU 's Moland is out of the shadows


By REGGIE BENSON, Times Sports Staff

With Baldwin in NFL, A&M's Moland eyes spotlight at linebacker

For the last two years, Avery Moland played alongside Johnny Baldwin. For the last two years, they formed one of the better inside linebacker tandems in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, helping Alabama A&M make back-to-back appearances in the championship game and eventually winning it last season.

Still, while Moland did his part, he wasn't able to escape Baldwin's large shadow.

No matter how hard he tried, no matter how well he played, Moland was always the Bulldogs' other inside linebacker.

Now that Baldwin, a two-time first-team All-SWAC selection, has taken his show to the National Football League with the Detroit Lions, A&M's defense will be Moland's to run.

"I've been waiting for this year all summer," said Moland, who will lead A&M's defense into Saturday's season opener against Tennessee State at LP Field in Nashville. "I knew Johnny was the man and I was just going out there every game trying to prove I could play, too.

"I want a chance to show everybody that I'm good enough to play on the next level and this is my year to do it and I'm planning to take advantage of it."

Unlike Baldwin, who played inside linebacker his entire career, Moland has bounced around some.

He started at defensive end as a redshirt freshman in 2004, was converted to inside linebacker a year later and then started at inside linebacker for most of last season, but started a couple of games at defensive end when Chris Traylor was suspended.

"Moland came here at a time when we had players with established roles," A&M coach Anthony Jones said. "That may have taken from his level of consistency playing one position all the time. He has played where we asked him to play and he's done it well. We felt like we had to have him on the field."

The Bulldogs are 25-10 with Moland in the starting lineup so Jones' observation was right. While he hasn't had a break out year, Moland has developed into a good football player.

"Avery has done what we needed him to do," Jones said. "He has been a big hitter for us. He's been a solid pass rusher. He's been a consistent player at linebacker and now he knows the lights are looking for someone to shine upon and it's his turn to step up because he can be that kind of player."

Moland has felt that way all along. He feels that way even more now.

"I feel like I'm an important part of our team," said the 5-foot-11, 236-pound senior from Birmingham. "I'm in a position where I can lead and my actions on and off the field have an effect on how my teammates look at our team. I've got to be one of the guys on defense to stand up and take full account of what's going on out there."

Moland's work ethic, inside linebackers coach Jay Martin says, has prevented him from becoming the kind of player Baldwin became.

"The thing I've been working with Avery on the most is his intensity," Martin said. "He'll turn it on and he'll turn it off. We need him to play with great intensity all the time.

"If his motor is running, he's hard to handle. He's a great pass rusher and a heck of a hitter. He brings fear to a lot of running backs, but he has to step up to the next level if he wants to be compared to Johnny."

Moland recognized that this summer and says he put in the work necessary to reach his goals.

"I did more to get in shape for this year so I could be in mid-season form at the beginning of the season," said Moland, whose father Thaddeus and uncle Vernon played for the Bulldogs in the early 1980s. "I realize the more plays I'm on the field the more plays I'll have a chance to make."

Moland has been one of A&M's top playmakers during his career. He was third on the team in tackles two years ago and second last season. However, Jones says he'll make more plays if he's in proper condition.

"Avery is a guy that loves to hit people," he said. "When you bring a lot of punishment, you also receive some and when you do that, you have to be in great shape. He has worn down some during the season and he needs to be in great shape so he can get through the year."

Moland doesn't seem all that concerned. He says he doesn't plan on letting anything stop him from having a great senior year.

"I'm excited," he said. "I'm glad it's here. Hopefully, I will have a great season."

No comments: