Sunday, June 8, 2008

Why UNCG doesn’t have a football program – and why it doesn’t need one

by Allen Johnson

Should there be helmets and shoulder pads in UNCG's future? It's a tempting thought. As someone who has taught there off and on, I've heard students grumble that the school lacks a football team -- and that a homecoming soccer game just doesn't cut it.

I've heard them call UNCG a "suitcase school" and suggest that college football could be the remedy. I don't know about that. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy college football on sunny fall afternoons as much as the next guy -- especially at UNCG's crosstown sister campus, North Carolina A&T State University, where the battle of the bands at halftime can be as compelling as the games themselves.

UNCG is almost close enough to A&T that you can hear the drumbeat of the Aggie marching band. And I can understand the sibling envy that probably stirs.

CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

No comments: