Saturday, December 13, 2008

President says Jones is still Alcorn's coach

Alcorn State football coach Ernest T. Jones was fired on Thursday. Or he wasn’t. Or no one knows. One day after Jones’ attorney said he received a letter from the university informing him of the coach’s dismissal, Alcorn State President George Ross said this morning that Jones has not been fired. “Coach Jones is not fired. There are lawsuits filed, so I’m limited in what I can say. But Coach Jones has not been fired,” Ross said. “Ernest Jones is the head coach at Alcorn State University.”

Jones, on a recruiting trip, said that was welcome news, although he hadn’t heard from his attorneys or Alcorn officials today. “I’m on the road recruiting. All I hear is what I know from the newspapers, the TV and what you guys tell me,” Jones said. “I’m going to do my job until somebody tells me to park the truck and turn my keys in.” On Thursday, Jones’ attorney, Wayne Ferrell, told The Associated Press the firing was detailed in a letter from the university. Jones learned of his apparent dismissal from reporters and his attorney early Thursday afternoon. He had no contact about the matter from Alcorn officials, he said.

CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

READ RELATED ARTICLES:
Jones files $3M lawsuit against Alcorn State
Alcorn State coach will appeal his firing
Alcorn State fires coach Ernest Jones
Alcorn State fires head coach Jones
Alcorn State reinstates 7 coaches
Alcorn AD confirms coaches rehired

No comments: