Wednesday, March 3, 2010

NCCU's LeVelle Moton: No excuses necessary

Durham, N.C. -- North Carolina Central UniversityEagles ended its men's basketball season Feb. 25 with an 83-69 loss to Longwood University. Coach LeVelle Moton's first-season record concluded with seven wins against 22 losses. That's still three more wins than all of last year. Don't expect to find Moton in a corner with his head in his hands or polishing up his resume. He knew what the job description entailed when he applied. The Eagles have completed their third independent year of transition to Division I. (Women's basketball ends March 14.) They have won 15 games in three years, but that's going to change.

Next season, the university becomes a full member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, a Division I historically black conference, which will level the playing field considerably. Oh, there'll still be the "money games," where low- to mid-major teams play top Division I programs for financial gain, but they won't make up an entire season. "I had Coach K [Duke's Mike Krzyzewski] call me and tell me he couldn't do what I'm doing," said Moton, the school's third all-time leading scorer (1,714 points). "We've been through some trials and tribulations and some adversity, but that's what life is about. We didn't have Batman, we had a bunch of Robins."

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: