Monday, April 19, 2010

Former Rattlers' Coleman honored for service to Johnson High School

Coach Roosevelt Coleman played for the Florida A&M University Rattlers from 1959-62 as offensive and defensive tackle. "I went to FAMU 6-2, 195 and I left 6-2, 235.” In 2005, Coleman was named as a member of the Florida A&M Centennial Team for his outstanding play on the gridiron. He is also a member of the FAMU Hall of Fame.

In his 31 years as a coach and teacher at Johnson High School, Roosevelt Coleman wanted to give his students and athletes something they'd remember and, hopefully, appreciate. Judging by the more than 200 friends, colleagues and former students who filled Savannah State's King-Frazier Ballroom for a retirement banquet commemorating his contributions, he did just that. "I tried to make their experience with me a memorable one that they would remember," Coleman said. "I'd say, 'I want you to remember something that we did in this classroom or on the football field or on the track, and remember it for the rest of your life.'"

When the school year ends in June, Coleman's years of service will come to a close. Coleman said he and his wife, Vernelle, plan to spend time with family, volunteer within the community, and make more frequent use of their football season tickets at Florida A&M University, his alma mater. "There a lot of things in mind that I'd like to do," Coleman said. "...Now I don't have anything to hold me back." The banquet's Master of Ceremonies, Gerald "Lil' G" Arrington, opened the evening with an anecdote many of today's students under Coleman can relate to.

"Coach Coleman does not know me by name," Arrington said. "He knows me as Young Man. 'How are you today, Young Man?' 'I'm good coach.'"

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

RREAD RELATED ARTICLES
Coach Coleman - Hometown Hero

Coleman Recognized by American Football Coaches Association (AFCA)...

No comments: