Sunday, July 18, 2010

B-CU's Willie Mack III wins third Flint City Amateur Golf Championship in record-setting fashion

FLINT, Michigan — Bethune-Cookman University's Willie Mack III put on a display of shot-making unlike any other in the 79-year history of the Flint City Amateur Golf Championship.

Mack ( a native of Flint, Mich.) won his third City Amateur crown Sunday at Swartz Creek, where he shot 5-under-par 67 for a an 11-shot victory over Andy Johnson and Derrick Riley. Mack's winning score of 18-under-par 198 shattered the tournament record of 11-under 205 set in 2005 by Grand Blanc's John Lindholm, who is also a three-time City Amateur champ.

Mack, who also won the City Am in 2006 and 2008, started the day with a nine-shot lead over playing partners Derrick Riley and Jordan Phillips, the defending champion. He showed early that he wasn't going back to the field, opening with three birdie before missing a four-foot putt for birdie on No. 4.

“My mindset was to extend it,” Mack said of the big lead. “Play aggressive and get to 20-under. I was on track for that and I made a double (-bogey) on 14, the par 3. I think I lost my focus because I had such a big lead. “My goal was 20-under.” Mack is 2-for-2 in Flint-area events this summer, having won the Genesee All-Star Golf Classic last month at Flushing Valley.

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: