Monday, February 14, 2011

Coach Steve Davenport determined to make SSU's football team a success

By Whitney Hunter, The Tiger's Roar

Coach Steve Davenport may be a newcomer on the scene, but he is determined to make Savannah State University's football team the team to watch in 2011.

The married Atlanta native and father of one, has always had a love of sports dating back to his days as a All-American wide receiver at Southwest Dekalb High School and a wide receiver for Georgia Tech.

"I was a little league baseball player and never played football until I got into high school and I've always been a sports guy," Davenport said.

The new head coach started off 2011 by hiring former Georgia Tech football players William Bell, Thomas Balkcom, C. Angelo Wyatt, Greg Lester and former All-Pro wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons, Terance Mathis, as his new assistant coaches.

"I have the up most confidence in the gentlemen I hired and have known them for quite some time," Davenport said.

In addition to the five assistant coaches, Davenport has landed 24 recruits from various parts of the country. Davenport is confident the new recruits will be the boost that SSU needs.

" I think these guys are good football players and good students as well," Davenport said." I think they will be a tremendous asset to the SSU community."

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: