Tuesday, April 19, 2011

KSU Men's Basketball Coach Announces Resignation

FRANKFORT, Ky. – After two years at the helm of Kentucky State University's (KSU) men's basketball program, Head Coach Clarence Moore, Jr. announced today his resignation from the program.

KSU Director of Athletics, Dr. Denisha L. Hendricks also announced that Assistant Coach Antwain Banks will serve as Interim Head Coach for the 2011-12 season. The announcement comes after Moore led the Thorobreds to their first winning season (15-13, 13-11 SIAC) since their 16-13 record under Winston Bennett during the 2000-01 campaign.

“I'm saddened to leave KSU. It was my first opportunity to coach at the collegiate level after coming in as an assistant and then made interim head coach halfway through the season and for the following year, then promoted to head coach this past season,” said Moore. “I'm sad because I've grown here as a coach and have bonded with my team and others on campus. I'm grateful for the opportunity I had here. It's an experience I will never forget or take for granted. I want to thank Dr. Sias, Dr. Hendricks and the entire KSU family for welcoming me and my family here and for giving me such a great opportunity at a young age.”

In two-and-a-half years, Moore amassed a record of 34-42. He also coached six Dean's List student-athletes (Julian Brown, Carlos Carter, John Gaston, Jarrod Gay, William Marsh and Austin Rich) and one student-athlete who scored over 1,000 career points (Tony Johnson). Under Moore's leadership, Johnson was also named to the 2010 SIAC All-Conference Second Team, 2010-11 Preseason All-Conference Second Team, 2010-11 All-Conference First Team and the 2011 SIAC All-Tournament Team.

“We are very sad that Coach Moore is leaving us,” stated KSU Director of Athletics, Dr. Denisha L. Hendricks. “He has done a great job here at KSU. He will be greatly missed, but we are really excited about the opportunity for Coach Moore and his family.”

Moore leaves KSU to assume a senior executive position at Edison Chouest Offshore in New Orleans, La. but is confident in the leadership skills of his assistant coach, Antwain Banks.

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.
VISIT: KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY
VISIT: KSUTHOROBREDS

No comments: