Sunday, June 5, 2011

UMES Lady Hawks signs an Elite Lady, Sweeney Style

Chester, VA -- For Shawnee Sweeney, life's motto is simple. Life is only as good as what you make of it. The harder you work the better you will become. That is not just a life lesson that is a basketball lesson for the Thomas Dale (High School) senior. Since Sweeney was five years old, shooting hoops was a poignant part of her life.

"My dad taught me how to shoot and I would keep working on it. That drive to wanting to get it right, to be perfect came natural to me," Sweeney said. Those long hard-working hours have paid off as Sweeney signed her letter of intent to play Division I college basketball at the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore next fall.


Videographer: sweeney2tes; Shawnee Sweeney signs to UMES. Shawnee posted a 4.2 GPA, is in the top 25 of her senior class and played all five positions on the court at Thomas Dale H.S.

"At first I was interested in going to Virginia Wesleyan or Christopher Newport, but at the very end of my high school season, Maryland of Eastern Shore got in touch with me and asked me to come for a visit," Sweeney said. "It was love at first sight with the school, the facilities to the coaches and players."

Sweeney who primarily played shooting guard and averaged about 15 points per game liked the fact that Maryland of Eastern Shore's coaches took the time to come see her play.

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: