Sunday, August 26, 2012

HU's Jay Walker stays close to football

FORT WASHINGTON, Maryland  -  Few athletes at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) -- and particularly at Howard University -- have achieved the level of success that Jay Walker did in the mid-90s, and no other player at the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference school has come close since.

A native of Los Angeles, Walker transferred from Long Beach State to HU after Long Beach State dropped its program. In only two seasons, Walker received All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference honors both years (in 1992 and '93), and was selected as the Offensive Player of the Year in 1993. Furthermore, he led the Bison to an undefeated season in 1993 -- winning the MEAC and the Black College National Championship.



Walker was taken in the seventh round in the 1994 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots, where he played for two years before moving on to the Minnesota Vikings, where he played another two.

"I got four years in the league," said Walker, who graduated from Howard with a political science degree and has been a member of the House of Delegates in Maryland since 2007.

"The NFL provided me with opportunities in life that if it wasn't for the game of football I wouldn't have gotten. I was very thankful. It was just a start of my life. I had a great time playing the game. I graduated with my degree in political science. I did everything I could to prepare myself for life beyond football."

READ MORE

No comments: