Saturday, October 27, 2012

Carmichael Gets Call For SWAC Hall

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania  --  The Philadelphia Eagles are proud to announce that former All-Pro wide receiver and current director of player development Harold Carmichael will be inducted into the Southwestern Athletic Conference Hall of Fame.

“I’m humbled and honored to be included in a Hall of Fame with such a storied tradition,” said Carmichael. “To be mentioned in the same company of guys like Jerry Rice, Charlie Joiner, Doug Williams, Jackie Slater, Ken Burrough, and Shack Harris is a wonderful feeling. It was a hard road for me to even to get to Southern. I was a walk-on. Nobody even knew who I was when I arrived on campus. I thought I had a scholarship but I did not. But I was very blessed to have a chance to show my talent and be in the position I am today.”

Carmichael will join Donald Driver (Alcorn State), Willie Norwood (Alcorn State), Hubert O Clemmons (Arkansas-Pine Bluff), Eugene "Doc" Harvey (Grambling), Lawrence A. Davis (Arkansas-Pine Bluff), LyVonne LeFlore (Jackson State) and Herman Sanders (Mississippi Valley State) in a ceremony on December 6 in Birmingham, Alabama.

Carmichael was a four-year starter at Southern where he led the team in receptions each season. In his senior year, he was an All-American as well as All-SWAC. In 1971, Carmichael was drafted in the 7th round by the Philadelphia Eagles. The 4-time Pro Bowler spent 14 years in the NFL and finished his career 6th on the league's all-time list with 590 receptions. He is still the Eagles all-time leader in catches (589), yards (8,978) and touchdowns (79).

In 1980, Carmichael was voted NFL Man of the Year. He is also a member of the Southern University Sports Hall of Fame. In addition, Carmichael is a member of the Eagles Hall of Fame (1987), Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, Jacksonville Sports Hall of Fame Honor Roll and Pennsylvania Hall of Fame.


COURTESY PHILADELPHIAEAGLES.COM

No comments: