Sunday, December 23, 2012

Southern men upset Texas A&M, 53-51

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Southern coach Roman Banks has plenty to be thankful for concerning his opposite number at Texas A&M, Billy Kennedy.

“Coach helped me be who I am today as a basketball coach,” Banks said. “I worked for him at Southeastern, he coached me at college (at Northwestern State), so he’s been with me all my career.

“So to get this win I’m kind of happy for the team, and I have to wonder if he meant to give this one to me to help me out in my career further.”



Kennedy wasn’t biting, saying it was the Jaguars who exposed his team’s weaknesses in a 53-51 victory Saturday afternoon at Reed Arena.

Malcom Miller made four free throws in the final 40 seconds, the first two to pull even and then two with 5.8 seconds remaining to send the Jaguars (5-6) to their Christmas break on a winning note.

Miller had only shot 10 free throws all season, making six, before going 5 for 5 against the Aggies (8-3).

“I was pretty nervous, but I have confidence in myself because I stay late night in the gym working on free throws,” said Miller, who led the Jaguars with 17 points. “Putting up shots with my teammate Derick (Beltran) gives me a lot of confidence.”

READ MORE

No comments: