Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ram Ramblings: Sam Hanger in the building at Gaines Center

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina  --   You never know who might be hanging around the Gaines Center watching basketball.

On Wednesday night I ran into Sam Hanger, a former WSSU basketball coach who lives in Greensboro and is semi-retired from coaching.

Hanger, who is 60-years-old and a grandfather, said he loved being back at the Gaines Center and seeing some familiar faces.

Hanger has been out of coaching since his seven-year stint at Fayetteville State ended after the 2008-09 season when he was fired. He said he doesn’t miss the grind of recruiting, and scouting but admits he misses the strategy on game days.

“I’m getting the itch again to coach,” said Hanger, who was the coach of the Rams for three seasons in the late 1990s. “I’ve done everything I can at home and done all the things my wife has asked me to do so I’m ready.”

READ MORE 

No comments: