Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Alcorn Braves add a ‘Monsta’ in Johnson

LORMAN, Mississippi -- Reginal Johnson Sr. wanted to create a monster.

That is, a monster on the basketball court.

He felt he accomplished that in his son Reginal Johnson Jr., who signed with Alcorn State on Wednesday.

“I didn’t have a dad in my life to tell me you need to play defense, block out, rebound,” Johnson Sr. said. “I thought I just needed to shoot.

“Well I got a rude awakening when I got in the military and learned you have to do more than that. What I did was make sure that everything I didn’t have, I was going to make sure my son had. And so I’d put all that together and create a monster.”

A Monroe, La., native, the younger Johnson averaged 32 points and 15 rebounds for Richwood High School, helping his team to a Class 3A runner-up finish, and was chosen as Mr. Basketball in Louisiana. He earned two Class 3A MVPs and also played on the Nike D1 circuit.

No comments: