Friday, September 26, 2014

ASU Hornets' Ponder turns up aggression on defense

MONTGOMERY, Alabama -- He's certainly paid his dues, waiting five years for this opportunity.

When Dionte Ponder became the third starting cornerback in four games for the Hornets, the senior had a sense of urgency to do the job correctly.

"The coaches wanted us to be a little more aggressive," Ponder said. "We've been getting some bad comments about the secondary, so we've got to pretty much show everybody we're not the weak link of the defense. We can compete with anyone.



"So I just took it upon myself. I just felt like the guy in front of me, I have to limit him in what he can do and stop him from making catches and touchdowns."

The tactic worked. Alabama State's defensive starters pitched a shutout against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on national television last week (the reserves gave up a late touchdown) gaining a little redemption for a much-maligned secondary.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: