Saturday, September 27, 2014

Sidney Lanier retires jersey of former standout Reggie Barlow

MONTGOMERY, Alabama  -- Current Alabama State University head coach and former Sidney Lanier High School player Reggie Barlow received a big honor this week as the Poets retired his #8 jersey during a ceremony on Thursday.

"[Current] Coach C.J. Harris and the Booster Club reached out to me and told me that was something they wanted to do," Barlow said. "Obviously I was honored and I do know the tradition and the history and all the great people that have been through Lanier High School and not just athletes. We have had people that have turned out to be lawyers, doctors, mayors, just really top of the line folks. It was a blessing to be honored and have the jersey retired."

Barlow earned All-State honors as a member of the Poets football team, and from there he went on to be an All-SWAC player at Alabama State.



"We didn't win a lot of games (at Lanier)," Barlow said. "I think they looked at the body of work with me being there and being All-State, and coming over here (ASU) and doing what I was able to do here and of course in the NFL. Maybe it was just an accumulation of all those things that have happened to me in my sports career."

After playing in college, Barlow was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fourth round of the 1996 NFL Draft.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: