Wednesday, March 25, 2015

C'Evon Jones is the first indoor national champion in Virginia Union history

RICHMOND, Virginia -- It took C’Evon Jones 7.35 seconds to make it into the Virginia Union history books.

Jones won the 60 meter dash at the Division II Indoor Track and Field Championships in Birmingham, Ala., on March 14, becoming the first indoor national champion in school history.

Jones’ is the school’s first national title since the men’s basketball team’s championship in 2005.

“I’m still speechless,” Jones said, “because I didn’t know that I did that much. I thought I just won a national championship. I didn’t know that I made history like that.”



“I’m still overwhelmed with my accomplishment.”

But there wasn’t a lot of time between the end of the indoor season and the beginning of outdoor season, which Jones is currently in the midst of. Panthers coach Wilbert Johnson said Jones’ success this year is largely attributed to a disappointing finish to her outdoor season a year ago.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: