Friday, May 22, 2015

Chiefs Legend Bobby Bell Earns Degree from U. of Minnesota

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota -- Kansas City Chiefs legend, Pro Football Hall of Famer and Super Bowl champion Bobby Bell, who will turn the milestone age of 75 in a little bit more than a month, achieved a personal milestone that was 53 years in the making on Thursday night.

Bell, in keeping a promise to his late father, walked across the stage at the Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis for the first time as a college graduate of the University of Minnesota.

"I really wanted to dance across the stage,” he said. “So many people here touched me and they were on the stage. The faculty members, all of them, came up in the back to shake my hand. They grabbed me; they hugged me.

“It's a great feeling. It's just like in the stadium."



Bell left Minnesota in 1962 with nine credits remaining to graduate and instead chose to play professional football while also working at General Motors.

From that point forward, finishing his degree unconsciously became secondary.

“What happened is I kept putting it off,” he described. “I would say 'maybe next fall. Next spring I'll go back and get my degree.' I had a few credits left and I kept putting it off. Then the next thing I know, I'm opening up restaurants and stuff. Then I started working.

“I was traveling all over the country and I kept putting it off. I'd say 'maybe next year.'”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: