Monday, February 29, 2016

Montgomery native Tarvaris Jackson talks Lanier, ASU football

MONTGOMERY, Alabama -- Tarvaris Jackson has played the last three NFL seasons across the country in Seattle, but still follows and supports his high school and college back home.

The Montgomery native talked Monday about Sidney Lanier High and Alabama State University, two places he made his mark before having a 10-year NFL career. Currently a free agent quarterback, Jackson said he was “surprised” C.J. Harris was fired at Lanier after leading the Poets to the AHSAA Class 5A football playoffs.

“He had been building,” said Jackson about Harris. “They had a good season this year. Made the playoffs. Had everything going in the right direction. Just the timing of it.”

Lanier principal Antonio Williams announced the firing in a statement Feb. 1. Jackson said he didn’t know “everything” that went into the firing, but has spoken to Williams about the situation.

“It’s a sensitive subject, a lot of he say, she say type stuff,” Jackson said. “I just wanted (Williams) to know that I support whoever because it’s my school. They’ve had guys over there that I didn’t know anything about or never heard of before but I supported the school because that’s my school. I always want to see them do well.”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: