Saturday, April 1, 2017
9 are March recipients of GCAC Player of Week awards
NEW ORLEANS — Nine Xavier University of Louisiana student-athletes earned a collective 13 Gulf Coast Athletic Conference Player of the Week awards in March. They are:
• Khalil Gallien (freshman from Detroit / Bloomfield Hills High School), men's track, Feb. 27-March 5 and March 6-12 . . . Began XULA career with a fifth in the 110-meter hurdles (15.32 seconds) and a 10th in the 400 hurdles March 3 at the Tulane Early Bird Twilight meet . . . Then placed eighth in the 110 hurdles and 15th in the 400 hurdles the following week at the McNeese Cowboy Relays.
• Charlene Goreau (sophomore, Toulouse, France / Raymond Naves School), women's tennis, Feb. 27-March 5 and March 13-19 . . . Won in singles and doubles Feb. 27 against then-NAIA No. 4 Brenau . . . Did the same March 22 at NAIA No. 22 St. Thomas (Fla.) to help the Gold Nuggets win 9-0 on the road.
• Antoine Richard (freshman, Laval, Quebec / Le Tremplin School), men's tennis, Feb. 27-March 5 and March 20-26 . . . Won in singles and doubles March 3 at NAIA No. 6 William Carey to lead the Gold Rush to a dual-match victory on the road . . . Earned singles and doubles victories to help the Rush win again March 22 at home against Ouachita Baptist, the No. 39 team in NCAA Division II.
• Tamia Scott (freshman, Lafayette, La, / Carencro High School), women's field, Feb. 27-March 5 and March 13-19 . . . Fourth place in the javelin at the Tulane meet in her collegiate debut, then placed seventh with a season-best throw of 110 feet, 6 inches March 17 at the Emory Invitational.
• Keairez Coleman (sophomore, Harrisville, Miss. / Mendenhall High School), men's field, March 13-19 . . . Scored the only Gold Rush points of the Emory Invitational when he triple-jumped a season-best 44 feet, 9 1/2 inches.
• Catalin Fifea (junior, Bucharest, Romania / General School No. 31), men's tennis, March 13-19 . . . Pair of doubles and singles victories on the road against ASA Miami and St. Thomas. ASA Miami is ranked second in the nation among two-year schools.
• Ry-Anne Riley (freshman, New Orleans / Lusher Charter High School), women's track, Feb. 27-March 5 . . . In her collegiate debut, Riley posted a pair of top-3 finishes (300 dash, 400 relay) at the Tulane meet.
• Maliya Vaughan (sophomore, Elk Grove, Calif. / West Campus High School), women's track, March 6-12 . . . Seventh in the 1,500 at McNeese in a career-best 5:07.42 . . . Helped XULA place third in the 3,200 relay.
• Ariane Williams (sophomore, Gonzales, La. / East Ascension High School), women's track, March 13-19 . . . Produced three top-5 finishes at the Emory Invitational, including an NAIA A-qualifying time of 3:53.83 in the 1,600 relay. That mark ranks fourth in the NAIA this season.
XULA men's and women's track will compete Friday in the Mike McMillan Invitational at Mississippi College in Clinton, Miss. XULA women's tennis will travel to Alexandria, La., for Saturday duals against LSU-Alexandria at 9 a.m. and Grambling at 1 p.m. Next for XULA men's tennis will be a noon dual April 8 at Jackson State.
Ed Cassiere, Sports Information Director
XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA