Tuesday, April 18, 2017

JOURNEY TO THE NFL: Former DSU standout Gabe Sherrod prepares to turn pro

PERRYVILLE, Maryland — Gabe Sherrod’s football career has been on an upward trajectory ever since he first stepped on the field to play Pop Warner football at Perryville Middle School.

It’s been a gridiron journey that included a trip to the 1A State High School Football Championship as Perryville’s senior quarterback in 2011, earning All-MEAC first-team honors as a defensive end at Delaware State University in 2015 and, most recently, strapping on a helmet as a fifth-year senior for Big Ten powerhouse Michigan State University.



Now, as he turns his attention to making the jump to the NFL, Sherrod has returned to the place where it all began: Cecil County.

“I’m going into unprecedented territory in that not a lot of people that I know, except for Larry Webster, made it [to the NFL] from this area, so I thought it was only right to come home and train around people I’m familiar with,” said Sherrod, referencing Elkton graduate Larry Webster, a defensive end drafted by the Detroit Lions in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. “This, after all, is where everything started and how I was able to branch out to Delaware State and Michigan State, so I just felt it was only right to come home. And spend time with family, as well. That time is invaluable. I don’t know where I’ll end up in the next couple of weeks, so spending time with my family and having them see my face, seeing their faces, it’s an all-around good thing to do at this point.”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: