Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Wash High’s Blount moves on from Duquesne to NCCU

DURHAM, North Carolina -- There was much more on the mind of Khalid Blount as he got into a three-point stance during spring football practices throughout March at Duquesne University. It wasn’t a worry about execution. It was a decision about leaving.

The 2015 Washington High School graduate had a good understanding of what needed to be done to get playing time on Saturdays, rotating on the Dukes’ defensive line in 10 games as a freshman.

Blount recorded five tackles – three solo – while taking up blockers and plugging holes from his tackle spot. He knew he could play, but wasn’t sure this was the place.

“When the thought of transferring came into my head, I was always telling myself it was something I didn’t want to do,” Blount remembered.

“I liked Duquesne,” he continued. “When I was on the football field, I was happy. Once I got away from football, I just wasn’t happy. As spring progressed, I had talked to my brothers, my family and God about it.”

Through those conversations, and a desire to move further away than the 25-minute drive home Blount made on many weekends, he finally decided to transfer to North Carolina Central University.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: