Tuesday, September 19, 2017

SWAC play offers Jackson State clean slate after rough 0-3 start

JACKSON, Mississippi -- Tony Hughes is a sore loser.

He's as frustrated as anyone about the Tigers' slow start to the 2017 season.

"When I was a kid playing marbles, If I started to lose I would take my marbles and go home," he said Monday. "You weren't going to beat me with my own marbles. If it was football, I'd take my ball and go inside or we'd play all day until I wore you down and finally beat you before I'd go home."

That explains his statements from last week, when he called out his critics at his regularly-scheduled weekly press conference.



But Hughes struck a different tone this week. Despite dropping a 36-21 road game at Grambling Saturday, he sounded optimistic as his Tigers (0-3) head into their first home game and SWAC opener against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

"My statements last week were not aimed at any one person or one particular group," Hughes said. "It was basically my frustration from being 0-3. Sometimes you might say something that comes out that might be offensive... but basically, I love winning, and I hate losing."

CONTINUE READING

No comments: