Friday, December 1, 2017

SWAC championshipT takes show on road one last time



HOUSTON, Texas — Southwestern Athletic Conference commissioner Duer Sharp said Friday he has not resigned.

One way or another, Saturday's game at NRG Stadium between Grambling and Alcorn State will mark the last time Sharp hands out a SWAC championship trophy to the league's best football team.

“I turned in a letter of nonrenewal, stating my contract would not be renewed as of June 30," Sharp said, "but it was not a letter of resignation.”

The Advocate reported Friday that Sharp had submitted his resignation but that it was unclear when his duties as conference commissioner would end.

“I’m the commissioner and I plan to be so moving forward,” Sharp said. “I have not resigned. I don’t know where that started from. I landed yesterday in Houston and my phone went completely crazy.”

The SWAC is holding its winter meetings in Houston and school presidents and chancellors met Thursday morning with some hot topics, including the possibility of re-implementing the SWAC championship game after it was announced last summer that Saturday’s game would be the last.

CONTINUE READING 

No comments: