Sunday, September 13, 2009

Special: Colonial Athletic Conference (CAA) Leaves Its Mark on I-A Teams

Last weekend's victories by William & Mary over Virginia, Richmond over Duke and Villanova over Temple reinforced the notion that the Colonial Athletic Association remains one of the strongest leagues in division I-AA football, if not the most powerful. Should James Madison knock off Maryland (Maryland won 38-35 in OT) and New Hampshire topple Ball State (NH won 23-16) on Saturday, it will further enhance the CAA's reputation and strengthen the argument that the talent gap between division I-A teams and the top programs in I-AA is shrinking.

"I've always told people that when Appalachian [State] beat Michigan [in 2007] . . . it was all the talking heads on television that were talking about what a huge upset it was," James Madison Coach Mickey Matthews said. "You didn't hear any coaches in the Big Ten and the CAA saying it was a huge upset. The top 10 or 15 teams in I-AA football can play with anyone in the country. I'm not saying we're going to beat them, but we certainly can compete against anyone."

This is the fourth year in a row that at least one CAA team has defeated a division I-A team. New Hampshire is going for its fifth consecutive win against a division I-A team this weekend. Since 1997, CAA teams boast 19 wins against division I-A opponents; no other I-AA conference comes close to matching that number. CAA teams have also fared well within their own classification. The league sent a record five teams to the division I-AA playoffs in each of the past two seasons. Last year in the 16-team field, four of the final eight teams and two of the final four teams were from the CAA.

CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

QUESTION FOR OUR READERS: Is South Carolina State, Florida A&M and Grambling competive with "any" of the ranked teams of the CAA? You may want to wait until after this Saturday's games to answer the question, although, other MEAC/SWAC teams are not as competitive as SCSU, FAMU or Grambling. Two CAA vs. MEAC games are on tap:

William and Mary (2-0) @ Norfolk State (1-1): 6 p.m.
Delaware State (0-1) @ Delaware (1-1) 12:00 noon

READ RELATED ARTICLES:

Terps Win, but Suffer Loss
ACC Football Leads the Nation in Irrelevance
'Vacancy' Sign Still Flashing for Byrd Stadium Suites

No comments: