Sunday, March 28, 2010

Defense dominates in S.C. State Spring Game‎



The defending two-time MEAC Champion Bulldogs will open the season September 4 when they make the short trip to Atlanta to face ACC champion Georgia Tech.

The old adage “every dog has his day” proved true Saturday for South Carolina State Bulldog defensive lineman Joe Council. It’s been a quiet three seasons for the Walterboro native since his transfer from East Carolina. But, during Saturday’s Spring Game at Oliver C. Dawson Stadium, Council made plenty of noise with his aggressive play up front in helping the Blue (defense) pull away from the Garnet (offense) 24-13.

Though three players (linebacker Dawan Thompson, defensive back Titus Graham and linebacker Rashad Hampton) had one more tackle than Council’s six, the constant pressure and havoc he caused drew praise from the coaching staff and helped set the tone for the Blue.

“My coaches kept believing in me and kept telling me to concentrate on the little things and I started doing that and started seeing what they were talking about,” Council said. “Coach (David) Blanchard and (Coach) Adams, they believed in me and told me what I was doing wrong. I kept working, kept at it and had a good day.” “Joe is growing up a little bit,” S.C. State head football coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough said. “It’s good to see because we need those guys defensively to get going.”

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: