Thursday, June 3, 2010

Beach High offensive lineman Harris signs with Savannah State University

Harris was named to the First Team, 2009 Georgia All-Region 3-AAAAA Football Team for his offensive line performance. Harris, who had qualified with test scores since his junior year, plans to major in Aerospace Engineering at Savannah State.

The choice: Go play football or make mom happy? Alfred Ely Beach High School senior Darryl Harris was able to do both. On Wednesday morning, the Bulldogs' offensive tackle signed a letter of intent to continue his career at Savannah State University. "I had already been accepted to Tuskegee University and Alabama State University, but my mom wasn't too out there for me going that far away for college," Harris said. "When Savannah State offered me this opportunity, it allowed me to stay close to home."

Harris, well-built at 6-foot-3, 252 pounds, has the size to be effective but the mobility and quickness to be able to block on the run. "Playing my position of left tackle on the offensive tackle, with my speed, it allows me to get to the outside and contain players better than most people can who aren't as quick as I am," Harris said. "But I know I have to improve my strength more and just get stronger."

Harris is the second Beach Bulldog to sign with SSU in the past week. Receiver/running back/quarterback Simon Heyward, 5-10/180 (First Team wide receiver, 2009 Georgia All-Region 3-AAAAA Football Team) signed his letter of intent seven days earlier.

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: