Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Shoes for Haiti: North Carolina Central basketball coach spurs collection drive

LeVelle Moton, the N.C. Central men's basketball coach, has been haunted by Haiti for much of his life. Moton knows his father, Frankie, was from Port-au-Prince, Haiti, but that is about all he knows about his dad. "I wasn't close to him," Moton said. "He was never there for me. To tell you the truth, I've never spoken to him. Your guess is as good as mine if he is deceased."

But Moton hasn't turned his back on his father's homeland. The earthquakes in Haiti one year ago today refocused Moton on his link to the country and his feelings about his absent father.



"As you get older, a certain amount of resentment builds when your father hasn't been a part of your life," Moton said. "I want to give back to the community anyway. Because of my background I know how important that is, and when I heard about the shoes for Haiti, I knew I wanted to be a part. Getting involved with this has helped me let go of the resentment."

Moton was referring to his role as spokesman for Share Our Shoes (SOS), a Raleigh-based organization that collects new and used shoes to redistribute where they are needed. He got involved after seeing a video on the SOS Web site about the group's efforts in Haiti.

"There was this little girl with no shoes - no, actually she had half of one shoe," Moton recalled. "When I saw that, I knew that I had to do something to help. It broke my heart."

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

LINK: SHAREOURSHOES

No comments: