Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hampton U. grad Kellie Wells wins national title in 100M hurdles

Eugene, Ore. - Kellie Wells' long, tough road back has reached a golden milestone. The 2006 Hampton University graduate is America's new women's 100-meter hurdles champion and bound for the IAAF World Championships of Track and Field starting late August in Daegu, Korea.

It took Wells just 12.50 seconds to take the gold medal at the USA Championships on Sunday at historic Hayward Field and put all her past tribulations behind her. She fought off old rivals Danielle Carruthers (second in 12.59) and Dawn Harper (third in 12.65) to claim her first American title and a trip to her first Worlds.

"It was tough at times but I was always hopeful a day like this would come," said Wells. "I'm just happy to be on top, to be looked as the best hurdler. "This (the Worlds) will be my first team, my first time to wear the US logo on my chest. "It will be an amazing honor and I can't wait to represent my country."




READ MORE

No comments: