Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hundreds Flock to FAMU Band Camp

Tallahassee, FL - After a week of training and practice, this is what it all came down too. "I've learned how to play my instrument better, how to dance better with my instrument, and also how to keep consistency as I play my horn," said camper, Lomario Marchman. More than 300 middle and high school students from around the United States flocked to Florida A&M's campus to sharpen their musical skills.



During their time at camp, students were mentored and trained by members of the FAMU Marching 100 and their directors. But it wasn't just about the music, life skills also played a big part. "I've learned how to cooperate with people. I've learned how to like have great relationships with people," said camper, Jasmine Bailey.

Over the past decade, fine arts programs across the nation have been on the chopping block due to lack of funding. FAMU's Associate Band director Shelby Chipman says budget cuts can be challenging, but this year's turnout proves that fine arts will never be completely out of the picture.

READ MORE




No comments: