Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Former TSU standout Christian Lowe signs contract to play volleyball in Germany

NASHVILLE, Tennessee -- Former Tennessee State University volleyball player Christian Lowe has signed a contract to play with Turnverein Dingolfing (Dingolfing TV) in Germany.

The Dingolfing TV was established in 1868 and has almost 2,000 members.

Lowe, a native of San Antonio, Texas played two years with Tennessee State. As a junior she helped TSU claim the 2007 Ohio Valley Conference Tournament Championship and the program's first NCAA tournament berth.

Christian Lowe
(Photo Courtesy TSU Sports Information)
A 6-0, Opposite Side Hitter, Lowe was named to the OVC All-Newcomer team in 2007 and was third on the team in kills and blocks per set. As a senior, she led the team in total kills and blocks while ranking third in the league in points and fourth in kills per set. She also garnered two OVC Offensive Player of the Week awards during her senior campaign.

"I have always wanted to play professional volleyball," said Lowe. "That was the plan after college, but I became pregnant my senior year and I had to be there for my daughter. It wasn't until last October, when a friend asked me to play in an all-day tournament, that I realized that I could still hang."

Lowe says that after playing in that tournament and consulting with her sister, who has played volleyball in Germany for ten years, she really felt like she could pursue a career professionally. She continued working out, competing in all-day tournaments and practicing with the TSU volleyball team to keep her mind focused on her dream.

"My sister has been a huge help," Lowe added. "She set up all the tryouts, translated and negotiated with the teams."

Lowe and her daughter, Jentelle, will travel to Germany next month.

"I am excited, extremely nervous and scared all at the same time. I haven't played and practice in a competitive way in years, so that makes me scared and nervous. All I want to be is the best I can be (that's with everything I do). But I am so excited; this dream that seemed so far away is in the palm of my hands."

COURTESY TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: