Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ex-WSSU players do their best to impress

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina  --   Lacking the exposure available in Division I, eight former Winston-Salem State players used Monday’s NFL Pro Day at Wake Forest as a final job interview and a chance to catch the eye of scouts.

“This is like the championship game,” said quarterback Kam Smith, who threw for 7,540 yards and 96 touchdowns in his career and helped WSSU to last season’s Division II title game. “It was kind of hard to sleep last night knowing what a big day this was. I’ve been thinking about this, and I just prayed before I came out and tried to relax and show what I could do.”

Coach Connell Maynor of WSSU said it only takes one team to like what a player can do.

“I think it’s great that we had eight guys out there today,” Maynor said. “Even though we had success at our level, there’s not a lot of exposure and TV coverage, so for them to get a chance to show what they can do is huge.”

Smith (6-1, 190) had the chance to throw for scouts as the three-hour pro day wound down.

READ MORE

No comments: