Monday, May 20, 2013

Aggies, Spartans hoping for home-track advantage in NCAA regional

GREENSBORO, North Carolina --  Keenan Smith can’t bring his girlfriend with him to meet his parents when he goes home for breaks.

N.C. A&T’s junior triple jumper leaves her someplace he knows he’ll find her when he gets back to Greensboro: safely nestled within the confines of Irwin Belk Track at Aggie Stadium.

“I spend so much time out here, sitting down on the (jump) pit, meditating, coming out here and raking the pit just to be around it,” Smith said. “It’s like my girlfriend.”

Smith, the 15th-ranked triple jumper in the NCAA East Preliminary Round, knows his special lady will be getting the attention of more than 100 other jumpers during this week’s regional meet.

But he knows where her true loyalties lay.

“When I’m here, I feel like no one else should beat me. I should dominate on this pit,” Smith said. “This is like my fortress of solitude.”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: