Sunday, July 21, 2013

Hampton Pirates tabs Ferebee as offensive coordinator

HAMPTON, Virginia  --  Glen Ferebee loved coaching football and was obviously successful, but as a substitute teacher at Lakeland High supplemented only by a coaching stipend the past two years, he wondered if he would have to give up the profession in order to support his family.

Hampton University's Donovan Rose took notice of Lakeland's back-to-back playoff seasons under Ferebee in 2011 and '12 and hired him last winter as quarterbacks coach as part of a staff shakeup. Six months later, the 35-year-old Virginia Beach native is running the Pirates' offense.

"This was something I always wanted to do," Ferebee said Tuesday. "I enjoyed coaching high school, but I wanted to get to the next level and I appreciate Coach Rose giving me the opportunity. I didn't think I'd become an offensive coordinator this quickly, but I'm going to work just as hard as I can."

CONTINUE READING

No comments: