Sunday, March 30, 2014

Savannah State Under The Morning Lights - 2014 SSU Spring Football Practice

SAVANNAH, Georgia  --  First-year coach Earnest Wilson, III, has the daunting task of turning around the misfortunes of the Tiger's football program. With that in mind, the Tigers now start their spring practice regiment with specific goals in mind for the upcoming season.

"I think we have the ability to win at least seven football games this season," said Wilson, as he addressed the squad at the conclusion of practice on this past Monday morning. "We have got to understand the work effort needed and learn how to play a game of intelligence."

Wilson has reached back into the Savannah State University history and sought out the services of former coach and athletic director Frank Ellis and former quarterback Chester Ellis. Both brothers were on hand to observe and then comment on what they saw and made recommendations to Wilson as practice concluded.

"All I want to do is win, because the Lord has given me a lot all ready," Wilson said. "I had a lot of success in arena football and I want to have that success in college football also."

At practice, on the first day back from spring break, 36 freshmen were on the roster. That is not counting more freshmen, who are still in high school. Those are some of the recruits signed by the team during national signing day.

"We have a lot of young players and they have got to understand what work effort is about," said Wilson. "They have got to learn how to check plays and be able to check into the right coverage."

The team has four quarterbacks attending spring drills and second-year player Leon Prunty logged in the most time for the Tigers last year, when now departed Antonio Bostick wasn't able to go.

A lot of the turnaround and attitude of players in the football program can be attributed to the team working out in the off-season. The athletic program now has a certified strength and conditioning coach.

In his initial interview when accepting the position as head football coach, Wilson indicated he had tried five previous times to land a spot here in Savannah.

"Back in 1994, when I was a coach at Alabama A&M, I remembered how wild and crazy the fans were here and I thought is was the best atmosphere I had ever been around," said Wilson.

"As I am getting older, I have given some thought of retirement and Savannah is not a bad place to live. I felt in the past, that I should have gotten the job, but all I want to do now is to build and establish a good program."

COURTESY SAVANNAH STATE UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: