Thursday, January 29, 2015

Robert Davis shines for Johnson C. Smith in win against Winston-Salem State

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina -- The best passes Robert Davis made against Winston-Salem State were the ones he didn’t throw.

The J.C. Smith point guard had his biggest game as a collegian with a game-high 19 points in the Golden Bulls’ 81-78 win against CIAA South rival Winston-Salem State at a packed Brayboy Gym Wednesday. Davis, a freshman, scored 15 points in the second half, including six late to break a four-game slide.

“At practices at different times (J.C. Smith coach Steve Joyner) would get on me about not looking for myself as much,” he said. “I’m really trying to get everybody involved but they’re pressuring me to try to do it for myself. I’m working on it.”

The effort paid off for Davis and J.C. Smith (10-11, 4-6), which won its first division game in four tries. Davis hit 6-of-9 shots and all six free throws to add a new dimension to the Golden Bulls’ offense. “We’ve been talking with him a little bit about that,” Joyner said.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: