Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Berry’s rise at ASU from unknown to undeniable

MONTGOMERY, Alabama -- He’s here. He’s there.

Alabama State junior linebacker Kourtney Berry seems to be everywhere on the football field.

“He makes it tough on me,” said Alcorn State senior quarterback John Gibbs Jr., the 2014 SWAC co-offensive player of the year. “He makes it tough on me. I was talking to him and I said, ‘You’re on every tackle.’ I’m trying to figure out how did he get over there when he was just over here seconds ago. He’s a tough ball player.”

Berry arrived in Montgomery as a walk-on from Merrillville, Indiana, who didn’t receive a football scholarship offer from any NCAA school. Two years and 233 tackles later, Berry is the premier defender in the SWAC.



“I had to make a statement that you guys missed out on me,” Berry said. “I’ve been playing these last two years with a chip on my shoulder. I could have played, but no one actually took a chance on me except for Alabama State. I can’t thank the coaching staff from beforehand enough. They gave me an opportunity to get out on the field and be able to play on a collegiate level.”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: