Thursday, December 24, 2015

​Home for the holidays: Former EC/TSU guard Gibbs fulfills goals

NEWNAN, Georgia -- Madarious Gibbs currently resides more than 5,000 miles from where he grew up. The East Coweta High School alum now plies his trade as a professional basketball player in Europe, Sarno, Italy to be precise.

After having played his college basketball in Houston, Gibbs is use to being away from home for long stretches of time but this week is something different entirely. Madarious Gibbs was coming home for Christmas. His first trip home for the holiday since he left for Texas Southern University.

His flight from Italy landed at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport on Tuesday night after 14 hours in the air and the first thing Gibbs did when he touched down in his native Newnan, Georgia was surprise his seven-year old brother Jaylon. The brother hadn't been able to spend Christmas together for four years.

'I didn't tell him I was coming home so I could surprise him,' said Gibbs. 'I missed him. The 6-1 point guard is always in contact with his family and friends back home despite the distance. 'I talk to Coach [Ronnie] Vandiver all the time,' said Gibbs. 'We kept in touch throughout my time in college and I'm going to make sure I see him while I'm home for the next week and a half.' Vandiver, no longer the head basketball coach at East Coweta, is now the Assistant Athletic Director.



CONTINUE READING

No comments: