Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Pitchers with common name leading Bethune-Cookman into postseason

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida -- Bethune-Cookman may be at its strongest when Tyler is on the mound.

The question is: which one?

“Tyler Norris has been solid all year and Tyler Krull, a freshman, has stepped up and is doing a great job for us,” said B-CU coach Jason Beverlin as the Wildcats prepared for this week’s MEAC Tournament.

Norris goes into the tournament with a 5-3 record, 5.07 ERA and a team-high 55 strikeouts. The sophomore jumped out to a 3-0 record, but got roughed up in back-to-back starts against North Carolina A&T and Ohio State. He allowed nine earned runs in 3 1/3 innings against the Aggies and seven earned runs in two innings against the Buckeyes.

“I struggled against N.C. A&T and Ohio State, in those two outings, but after that I was able to push through it,” Norris said. “I made a goal to myself and said, ‘That’s not going to happen.’ I just tried to work my ass off the rest of the year and made a point that I wasn’t going to let my team down again.”

He bounced back with two straight wins, including a 6-5 decision over Florida A&M, the defending MEAC Tournament champions.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: