Saturday, October 22, 2016

Late score helps Albany State put away Clark-Atlanta

ALBANY, Georgia — Ta’Keevian Harris tried everything he could to get into the end zone.

On a critical third-and-1 play from the Clark-Atlanta 29-yard line, the former Westover standout caught a short pass and turned it upfield and fought until getting tackled at the three.

Two plays later on a quarterback bootleg, quarterback Caleb Edmonds scored on a two-yard run give Albany State a 10-point lead with 4:34 left in the game.

The decisive touchdown finally put away pesky Clark-Atlanta Saturday afternoon and the Rams won a hard-fought 17-7 contest on homecoming at the Albany State University Coliseum before 10,273.

“I really felt like I needed some more milk,” said Harris, who finished with two catches for 37 yards. “I had everything I needed, I was open, but to get caught on the three-yard line, I knew my teammates were going to come back and make it up for me. I was just thinking about making up for those little dropped balls earlier.”

Harris’ catch was gutsy considering the Rams (4-3, 3-1 SIAC) needed something positive to finally put away the Panthers, who with a victory, could have captured the SIAC East Division. Instead, Albany State now sits in the driver’s seat with games left against Benedict and Fort Valley State in the annual Fountain City Classic.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: